10 reasons to feed the hungry
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — After a missions service a sincere young woman asked, “Do you ever get overwhelmed with the need? Millions around the world are hungry and thirsty — have you ever wanted to just give up?”
“Jesus didn’t ask you or me to feed everyone,” I replied. “He commanded us to feed the next one. Our job is to do all we can, to work and give sacrificially so hungry people can have food and experience the love of Jesus.”
She nodded her head in agreement, but her question prompted me, later that night, to jot down 10 reasons we should feed the hungry.
1. To maintain a heart of mercy.
2. To obey God’s Word.
3. To emulate Christ.
4. To be a vessel through whom Christ can administer His compassion.
5. To ease the pain of others.
6. To express our appreciation to Christ for His gift of salvation.
7. To make communities better places.
8. To nurture an attitude of personal sacrifice.
9. To be an example to children and to help them establish Christ-honoring priorities.
10. To have the favor and blessing of the Lord.
For followers of Christ, feeding the hungry and giving water to the thirsty is not optional. God’s favor on our lives depends on our willingness to go beyond mere pity to perform acts of compassion. His blessings rest on what we do more than what we say. If we care about suffering people, we give. If we love them and the One who died for their sins, we never give up.
E-mail your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.